I’m in the process of (finally!) creating a print version of Pumpkin Goblins. That being the case, it seemed like a good time to update the cover. The typography has always given me a slightly uneasy “off” feeling, but as a confirmed perfectionist, my choices were to publish the book with a less-than-perfect cover, or spend (probably) months agonizing over it and not publishing it at all.
A conversation I had tonight with my partner at the culmination of a week of bean-type soups and chilis:
Me: Dinner tomorrow? Partner: Three-Bean Soup. Me: Me: *swears at partner* Partner: Three-Bean Soup, but instead of the broth– Me: There’s a fourth bean? Partner: I call at Three-Bean Surprise. The surprise is the fourth bean.
I finally hemmed a pair of pants that I’ve worn pinned up with safety pins for eight or nine years now.
I did an absolutely awful job, but at least I won’t have to feel the click-click of safety pins against my shoes next time I wear them. That will only happen with the other pairs of pants that have also been safety-pinned for five-plus years.
This is what the doors into my office looked like a few months ago, when I finished Stars Fall Out. I’ve been reading and analyzing my draft, making plans for the revision, and spreadsheeting the hell out of everything.
One by one, I’ve taken down my first draft scene cards as I get ready to make my changes. I keep thinking of that line from How the Grinch Stole Christmas, that all he left were some hooks and some wire. It’s like a physical manifestation of the process of separating from the first draft. I found a lot of stuff I liked on my read-through (all my characters are grumpy, except the antagonist, of course), but there’s also plenty of work to do.
I kind of want to start the next book already just so I can put up more colorful cards.